This dairy and gluten free vegetable bake is a great way of using up any leftover veg that’s in the fridge. It’s also easy to make and since I’ve discovered coconut milk is the best way of making any sort of white sauce I’m loving it.
So for my vegetable bake I had some left over cauliflower florets, mushrooms and, as always in my fridge, a bag of kale (good for the iron levels!).
Dairy And Gluten Free Vegetable Bake
- 100g of gluten free pasta
- Handful of mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- Small handful of kale, shredded
- 1/2 small cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Grated dairy Free cheese (around 1/2 cup, I like to use violife cheddar or mozzarella)
- 400ml light coconut milk
- 1 tbsp dairy free butter
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- Firstly, cook your gluten free pasta in a pan for boiling water until it’s al dente, it should take around 10 minutes. Take it off the heat, drain and set aside.
- Next melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Remove from the heat and stir in the cornflour. Gradually pour in the coconut milk, stirring constantly. Return the pan to the heat and add in as much grated dairy free cheese as you like, still stirring. I prefer around a 1/2 cup of cheese so it’s not overly cheesy. Reduce the heat and simmer the sauce gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the cheese has melted in.
- Add all the veg into your oven proof dish along with your pasta, sprinkle the chili flakes through and season with some pepper if you wish.
- Add your cheese sauce to the dish and mix through.
- Place in a pre heated oven at 180ºC (fan oven) and bake for 20 mins.
Another great vegetable bake recipe for this time of year is my autumnal tray bake. It’s also worth making if you want something quick and easy to put in the oven.