This gluten and dairy free fish pie is a nice and easy dish my mum made for us the other week so I thought I would share the recipe with you. This fish pie is naturally gluten free and the dairy is easy to substitute with still the same taste.
I think that’s whats so easy to worry about, will an alternative make it taste different? I don’t believe it does and in a lot of cases when I’m cooking I think using for example coconut milk gives it more flavour. My advice would be, never be scared to try dairy or gluten free alternatives in every day foods that you loved before. Your health doesn’t mean you’re compromising on taste.
- 2 smoked haddock fillets
- 400ml of coconut milk
- 1 dsp of dairy free butter
- 1 tbsp of cornflour
- 2 tsp’s of chopped parsley
- 2 tsp’s of chopped chives
- 6 medium sized potatoes, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- Enough dairy free cheese to grate over the top
- In a pan on the hob slowly cook the haddock in coconut milk on a medium heat for around 7-8 minutes. At the same time par boil the potatoes. Take the fish out and place it in the oven dish leaving the milk in the pan. Drain the potatoes and allow both the fish and potatoes to cool.
- On a low to medium heat melt the dairy free butter and mix in the cornflour, then gradually add in your left over milk from cooking the fish. Stir until it thickens, then season with your chopped chives and parsley.
- In the oven dish break the fish into chunky pieces, pour over the sauce then add a layer of sliced tomatoes, then your sliced potatoes and grate some dairy free cheese over the top.
- Cook in the oven at 170ºC(Fan) for approx. 20 mins.
I also love these gluten free fish nuggets that I make, well worth a try if you’re looking for a fishy treat! Get the recipe here