On Saturday I had the opportunity to go to a gluten free workshop at Bread Ahead Bakery in Borough Market. It was so interesting and a real insight into how gluten works when baking and what we need to do to replace it so we can still produce a bake that works and is just as good. There really is no reason why we should have to suffer or miss out on the good stuff just because we’re coeliac or dairy intolerant.
One of the things we made are these Amaretti biscuits which are so easy to make and totally delicious! I ate them all in about 24 hours, no joke! They really are that good. Yes they do have quite a bit of sugar in them but they are worth the treat every now and then. They are flourless too and only take around 30 mins to make so I’m thinking they could be the perfect impressive bake for when you have people coming round your house to visit! Get making them!
Time: 30 mins – Makes about 15-20 biscuits depending on size
70g egg whites (1 egg white = 25 grams)
188g unrefined caster sugar
300g ground almonds
½ tsp of honey
½ tsp of almond essence
1) Preheat your oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas mark 4.
2) In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until frothy, then add the sugar and whisk until soft peaks form. Then add the ground almonds plus essence and mix.
3) Shape the dough into balls, size is up to you but not too small!
4) Cover the balls in icing sugar, making sure to really pack it on.
5) Place on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Take them out and let cool then enjoy!