This Gluten Free Flourless Peanut Butter and Banana Cake started off as a bit of an experiment, I had a recipe for a flourless chocolate and almond cake but I wanted to make something different for my friend coming round. In my cupboard was a jar of banana peanut butter that I had bought from Jakes Boost at the Free From festival. Peanut butter cake, that might be amazing if it works! Luckily it did work and it does taste delicious! It has a lovely gooey middle and it is so moreish. I would highly recommend the banana peanut butter from Jakes Boost but you can just use natural peanut butter and a banana, it still tastes as good.
Gluten Free Flourless Peanut Butter and Banana Cake Recipe
- 200g of dairy free butter
- 200g of natural peanut butter
- 1 large banana, finally sliced
- 4 medium eggs
- 150g of unrefined sugar
- 250g of ground almonds
- 1/4 tsp of xanthan gum
- 60g of dairy free white chocolate
- pinch of sea salt or himalayan salt
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (160º Fan/Gas 4) and line your cake tin.
- Put the butter and peanut butter into a small pan and eat slowly over a low heat, stirring occasionally and breaking it into smaller pieces to melt them together. Then add your banana and mush it in until smooth.
- Put the eggs and sugar into a large bowl and whisk them well until they are light and fluffy. Keep whisking while you pour in the melted peanut butter mixture.
- Then fold in the ground almonds along with a pinch of salt until you have a smooth batter.
- Pour the mixture into your cake tin and bake in the oven for around 30 minutes. To test after 30 minutes insert a skewer into the middle of the cake, it won’t come out completely clean as it’s meant to be slightly gooey in the middle but you shouldn’t see any raw mixture. If you do then return to the oven for another 5 mins.
- Transfer the cake to a wire rack and let it cool down.
- To make the white chocolate sauce for the top, just melt your dairy free white chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water.
- You can pour the white chocolate over the cake once the cake has cooled down and then let the chocolate set. Or serve your gluten free flourless peanut butter and banana cake and white chocolate sauce separately letting everyone put it over their own slice of cake while the cake and sauce are hot. yum!
If you love bananas also try my banana pancakes for a weekend breakfast treat.