Strangely, meaty meatballs isn’t something I’m mad about but I decided to make some gluten free vegan meatballs and I absolutely love them! To me they have so much more flavour and a better vibe about them.
A coeliac symptom I’d started to get was constant aching bones and joints, some days the fatigue made me feel like I couldn’t even get out my bed. After doing some research I decided to cut down on meat in my diet and for me I’ve found it’s made a massive difference. I’ve not had anywhere near the same aches and I’ve probably only had meat twice in 6 weeks. Back to the gluten free vegan meatballs though, I served them with my homemade tomato sauce and gluten free spaghetti but rice is great too. If you have any left over they’re great the next day heated up on a wrap with a bit of salad and mayo.
- 1 Aubergine, roughly chopped
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 3 slices of gluten free bread, made into breadcrumbs
- A handful of pitted olives
- 1/2 red chilli
- 1/2 tbsp of rosemary
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Handful of spinach, roughly chopped
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Cook the aubergine, onion and garlic in the olive oil in a large pan until soft and starting to colour, should be around 6-8 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the them cool slightly.
- In a food bender add the cooked mixture along with the gluten-free breadcrumbs, olives, chilli, lemon juice, spinach and rosemary along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Blend the mix in a food processor until it all comes together, and make sure to taste.
- Shape into balls. I get about 10 from the mix. Then bake the meatballs for about 10-12 minutes in an oven pre heated to 180º(Fan), or until browned.