I first made this Hot and Tangy Baja Chicken Rice Bowl in the summer when we were all heading out to our local festival in the park, I just took a big bowl of it and we all dived in and helped ourselves with our picnic bowls and cutlery! Since then I make it quite often because I love it.
It’s a great way to serve it just putting a big bowl of it in the middle of the table for everyone or I often make it to take to work for my lunch but on a smaller scale! The spice with the tang of the lime and mango is what makes this amazing and don’t be put off by the mango in a savoury dish because this honestly works. Also if I don’t have any lettuce in my fridge I usually have spinach so I just use that instead or even chard because I’d rather use what I’ve already got.
Hot and Tangy Baja Chicken Rice Bowl INGREDIENTS
FOR THE CHICKEN
- 1/2 a fresh orange
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1/2 a fresh lime
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt (I use pink salt)
- Freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE MANGO SALSA
- 1 chopped mango
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh coriander
- 1/2 orange pepper finely sliced
- cooked white rice, for serving
- Finely shredded romaine lettuce
- a few slices of red chili depending on how hot you like it
- Make marinade: In a medium bowl, whisk together orange juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil, lime juice, garlic, oregano, cumin and paprika. Add chicken breasts, tossing to coat both sides. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes or up to 2 hours if you really want to bring out the flavours.
- Meanwhile, make mango salsa: In a medium bowl, combine mango, red onion, garlic, lime juice, chili and coriander. Toss to combine and season with salt. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, heat remaining oil. Season both sides of each chicken breast with salt and pepper then add chicken to the skillet. Cook until golden and cooked through, about 8 minutes per side. Remove from heat and let rest for 10 minutes before cutting into strips or cubes.
- Mix chicken, rice and mango salsa together. Squeeze more lime juice on top, it’s proper delicious.