O.K so these Lemon Shortbread Biscuits aren’t specifically Valentine Day biscuits unless lemon is the way to your heart, I’ve just decorated the top of them with some lovely (although maybe not the neatest!) icing sugar hearts to give them a Valentine kick. That’s a good thing though because it just means we can make them all year round because they really are yummy, the comfort of shortbread with a zesty feel.
Shortbread is something that’s actually easy to do gluten free because it’s cornflour you use and actually the gluten free way is always a lot better in my opinion as the shortbread feels lighter and never stodgy, as it can be. I think shortbread is something you think will be difficult to make but in actual fact it’s not and they last wrapped up in box or even in the freezer, so you don’t need to feel like you’re making a batch and then having to eat them up quickly. Although you can if you wish and you might want to once you’ve tried these lemon shortbread biscuits.
Lemon Shortbread Ingredients…
175 grams dairy free butter
70 grams unrefined granulated sugar
3 lemons, grated zest of
175 grams white rice flour
75 grams cornflour
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC/ 350ºF
2. Cream the dairy free butter and sugar until it’s soft, then add the sugar and rind. Beat together until light and fluffy.
3. In a separate bowl mix together the rice flour, cornflour, baking powder and xanthan gum, then add it to the butter and sugar and mix together well.
3. Knead lightly, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Rollout the dough on a rice floured surface, to a thickness of about 5MM. I find it easier roll between sheets of parchment.
5. Stamp into rounds 4mm, place on several baking sheets and bake, about 15 minutes until golden. Leave to cool on the tray before cooling on a rack.
If you want to decorate them then just mix up your icing sugar, I added a bit of natural food dye and a couple of drops of vanilla essence,
as lemon and vanilla together is good. You could decorate them for any occasion or just keep them plain, both are as good and tasty.