Fish cakes can be a great gluten free and dairy free alternative that can easily be made without any breadcrumbs in sight, like these sweet potato fish cakes. I sometimes find them a bit bland so I really just decided that adding a sweet potato might make them a bit more exciting and I’ve discovered I they do!
Fish cakes are super simple to make, plus they keep. I’ll leave a couple in the fridge to heat up the next day and have with a salad for lunch. Hope you like them and find them just as yummy.
Sweet Potato Fish Cakes Ingredients…
- 245g skinless cod (haddock or pollock fillets work just as well)
- 2 medium sized Sweet Potatoes, roughly diced
- 4 tbsp’s of corn flour
- 2 tbsp’s of fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp’s of basil
- Pinch of pink salt
- Par boil the sweet potatoes for about 5 mins, until starting to soften. Take them out and let them cool down for around 10 mins.
- Roughly chop the fish and then I used my food processor to mix all the ingredients together, not letting the mixture too smooth though.
- Then bring together with your hands and shape into 8 patties, then leave to chill in the fridge for around 30 minutes or you can leave them longer if you make them well in advance.
- Heat a a couple of tbsp’s of oil in a pan over a medium-high heat and in batches of 4, cook the fish cakes for about 3 minutes on each side, until golden and crisp, then remove to kitchen paper to drain.
If you like this then also check out my Baked Honey And Garlic Salmon, the honey gives it a lovely sweet kick.