I made this gluten and dairy free Tomato and Basil Chickpea Stew last night and it was delicious! I knew I wanted to do some sort of chickpea stew but wasn’t sure what, looked in the fridge and came up with this by what I had. You never think about having stews the same once you reach spring as they seem much more a winter sort of dish, but the tomato and basil changes this and I’d definitely have it all year round! I’m on a bit of a health kick at the moment as I’ve got a wedding and a nice jumpsuit to wear in a couple of weeks (yeah I’ve left it to the last minute) so I needed something that was full of goodness, tasty and filling, this ticked all the boxes.
Today for my lunch I’ve heated up what was left over and added in a couple of slices of chorizo and a small amount (health kick!) of dairy free cheese and it was yum, so that’s a little alternative to try as well.
Serves: 2 Prep Time: 5-10 mins Cook Time: 30-35 mins
Tomato And Basil Chickpea Stew
- 400g of chickpeas, drained
- 400g tin of peeled tomatoes
- A bunch/around 5g of fresh Basil
- 2 tsp’s of coriander
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- 2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/4 red chilli, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp of coconut sugar
- Pinch of himalayan salt
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- Handful of kale
This is honestly so easy there really is only one instruction…
- In a large cooking pan add all your ingredients, top up with some water (about 150ml) so that the potatoes are covered and the simmer on a low to medium heat for 30 mins. Check that the potatoes are soft, if not give it another 5 mins.
And that is it, ready. One instruction, the best sort of dinner to make! I just put the basil leaves straight in but you can roughly chop the if you prefer.
Also, if you like a chickpea stew you might also fancy giving a go my Smokey Chickpea Stew.